16 Thursday November 2017, Omagh Enterprise Centre.
Another great turnout at the recent Border People seminar which provided an overview on welfare reform in Northern Ireland and its cross-border implications.
Lee Hatton, Law Centre NI, explained the complicated changes and highlighted complex issues for cross-border workers and their families.
Some Universal Credit points raised on the day include:
- Cross-border workers will only be entitled to certain elements of Universal Credit
- How will real time income information deal with Irish earnings?
- Will the Irish benefits system treat Universal Credit as income?
Potential problems with the online system were also highlighted:
- Will the UK online Verify system work for claimants based in Ireland? Currently a postcode is needed to start online claim
- Will an Irish passport and/or a NI driving licence being accepted as ID – how will the system deal with Irish photo ID?
These were only some of the issues which were raised on the day. Many more questions remain!