This Commons Library briefing paper addresses the question of the status, post-Brexit, of EU citizens currently resident in the UK and those British citizens living elsewhere in the EU.
- Migration between the UK and other EU countries
1.1 EU migrants living in the UK
1.2 British citizens living in other EU countries
- The current, pre-Brexit position on free movement rights
2.1 EU ‘Free movement’ rights
2.2 Immigration controls for non-EU nationals
2.3 Permanent residence
- What was said during the referendum campaign?
- 4. What has been said since the referendum?
4.1 Immediate reaction
4.2 The Government’s statement following the referendum
4.3 The Government position
4.4 Criticism of the Government’s position
- 5. How might UK exit affect the free movement rights of British and EU citizens in the long term?