BREXIT – Currently your rights and entitlements as EU citizens continue unchanged.
Please click HERE for updates on the future implications of Brexit.

Transfer of benefits from Ireland to Northern Ireland

Your rights to claim benefits or other financial support are protected by social security arrangements between Ireland and other countries in the European Economic Area (EEA). This means you may be able to get Irish benefits while living across the border.

Source: Citizens Information – Going abroad or on holidays and social welfare payments

Irish social welfare payments paid outside the state

If you are living outside the Irish state, the following social welfare payments can be paid:

  • Invalidity Pension
  • State Pension (Contributory)
  • State Pension (Transition)
  • Disablement Benefit. The Constant Attendance Allowance increase is only paid for up to 6 months. However, if you are abroad for medical treatment you may continue to get Incapacity Supplement, such claims are assessed on a case by case basis.
  • Guardian’s Payment (Contributory)
  • Widow’s, Widower’s or  Surviving Civil Partner’s (Contributory) Pension
  • Death Benefits under the Occupational Injury Benefit Scheme
  • Bereavement Grant

Payments made in limited situations

  • Injury Benefit
  • Illness Benefit
  • Adoptive Benefit
  • Maternity Benefit
  • Jobseekers Benefit
  • Carer’s Benefit
  • Rent Supplement

The following payments are not paid outside the state

  • Deserted Wife’s Allowance
  • Guardian’s Payment (Non-Contributory)
  • Pre-Retirement Allowance
  • Prisoner’s Wife’s Allowance
  • Supplementary Welfare Allowance
  • Health and Safety Benefit

The following payments are not paid if you are outside the State but there are some exceptions depending on your circumstances

  • Deserted Wife’s Benefit
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Disability Allowance
  • One-Parent Family Payment
  • Widow’s, Widower’s or Surviving Civil Partner’s (Non-Contributory) Pension
  • State Pension (Non-Contributory)
  • Blind Pension
  • Child Benefit

For further information about transferring your social welfare payment abroad, or taking holidays while getting a social welfare payment, contact the section in the Department of Social Protection that pays your social welfare payment or your social welfare local office.

The Department of Social Protection provides a Lo-call telephone number, your telephone call will be charged at the price of a local call: 1890 500 000.

Moving to Northern Ireland

If you are getting State Pension (Non-Contributory) or Blind Pension and take up residence in Northern Ireland, the pension is payable until you become entitled to an equivalent payment from Northern Ireland or for a period of 5 years whichever is the shorter.

For further information please visit Citizens Information – Going abroad or on holidays and social welfare payments

*You should always contact the Department of Social Protection to clarify your situation and confirm your entitlements.

See also:

Page last checked: June 2016

This webpage is for general information purposes only and while we endeavour to keep it up-to-date, errors may occur.  It is very important that you check with the relevant body to ensure the information is current and is applicable to your situation: – North /  South

If you would like to suggest amendments or highlight new information that could be useful to others please don’t hesitate to get in touch.