If you are in training or education in Ireland, you may be eligible for various training and support payments.
- The Department of Social Protection website outlines a number of ways that you can return to full-time or part-time education while continuing to get income support. For further information please visit the Department of Social Protection website – Back to Education Supports
- Back to education allowance – If you are unemployed, getting a One-Parent Family Payment or have a disability, you may attend a second-or third-level education course and get the Back to Education Allowance (BTEA). The weekly Allowance is paid at a standard rate and is not means-tested. However, the increase you get for a qualified adult may be means-tested if your spouse/partner has earnings. For further information please visit Citizens Information – Back to education allowance
- The Vocational Training and Opportunities Scheme (VTOS) provides a range of courses to meet the education and training needs of unemployed people. If you are over 21 years of age, unemployed and have been getting certain social welfare payments for at least 6 months you can apply for the VTOS scheme. For further information please visit Citizens Information – Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme
- Citizens Information – Returning to education
- If you are in training or education in Northern Ireland, you may be eligible for various training and support payments. You could get financial help towards the costs of your course, and related costs like travel and childcare. The help you can get will depend on a range of factors – including your personal circumstances and the course you’re doing. Education Maintenance Allowance, Extra help for students with children – Childcare Grant and Parents’ Learning Allowance Further Education Support Funds, Grants and bursaries
For further information please visit – NI Direct – Help with learning costs
Page last checked: September 2017
This webpage is for general information purposes only and while we endeavour to keep it up-to-date, errors may occur. It is very important that you check with the relevant body to ensure the information is current and is applicable to your situation: – North / South
If you would like to suggest amendments or highlight new information that could be useful to others please do not hesitate to get in touch.