BREXIT – Currently your rights and entitlements as EU citizens continue unchanged.
Please click HERE for updates on the future implications of Brexit.

Registering for tax in Ireland

If you are working in Ireland for the first time you need to register for tax.

Your new employer must deduct tax from your pay under the PAYE system. To make sure that your tax is properly dealt with from the start and that your employer deducts the right amount of tax from your pay you should do two things:

  1. Give your employer your PPS No. (Personal and Public Service Number), formerly your RSI No. He/she will then let the tax office know that you have started work.
  2. Apply for a certificate of tax credits by completing  Form 12A (PDF, 211KB)  – (Application for a Certificate of Tax Credits and Standard Rate Cut-Off Point) and sending it to the tax office. If your employer does not have a form 12A, you can get one from any tax office or telephone 1890 30 67 06.

Your tax office will send you a Certificate of Tax Credits and Standard Rate Cut-Off Point, which sets out in detail the amount of tax credits due to you. The tax office will also send a Certificate of Tax Credits and Standard Rate Cut-Off Point to your employer which shows the total amount of your tax credits.

You will normally start to pay tax from your first pay-day. The amount of tax you pay depends on your level of pay and the amount of your tax credits. If your pay on any pay-day is less than your tax-free allowances then you don’t pay tax on that pay-day. If your pay is more than your tax-free allowances you pay tax on the difference.

For further information please visit – Starting Work and Tax

See also: