BREXIT – Currently your rights and entitlements as EU citizens continue unchanged.
Please click HERE for updates on the future implications of Brexit.

Illness Benefit in Ireland

Employers in the South are not obliged to provide Sick Pay for ill employees. So (provided you have paid sufficient PRSI) you may apply for Illness Benefit from the Department of Social Protection.

The application forms must be obtained from your doctor in the South.

For further information please visit Citizens Information Illness Benefit

Cross-border applications

If you work in the South but your doctor is based in the North please follow the following steps:

  1. Obtain a sickness certificate from your doctor in the North
  2. Write a letter explaining that you wish to claim Illness Benefit, include your contact details and PPS number and enclose the doctor’s certificate.  Take a copy for your own records and post the originals to:  Illness Benefit, Department of Social Protection, P.O. Box 1650, Dublin 1
  3. They will open a claim for you and send out forms for you to complete

See also:

Page last checked: March 2016

This webpage is for general information purposes only and while we endeavour to keep it up-to-date, errors may occur.  It is very important that you check with the relevant body to ensure the information is current and is applicable to your situation: – North /  South

If you would like to suggest amendments or highlight new information that could be useful to others please don’t hesitate to get in touch.