You may be eligible for Carer’s Allowance if you are aged 16 or over and you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone who is ill or has a disability.
Source: NI Direct
The information about Carer’s Allowance on the NI Direct website is under the following headings:
- Carer’s Allowance – introduction
An introduction to the main social security benefit for carers, including current rates
- Carer’s Allowance – eligibility
There are a number of conditions you have to meet to claim Carer’s Allowance
- Carer’s Allowance – how to claim
You can claim Carer’s Allowance online or fill in a paper claim form
- Carer’s Allowance – changes in circumstances
You must tell the Disability and Carers Service about a change in your circumstances or those of the person you care for
- Carer’s Allowance – effect on other benefits and entitlements
Claiming Carer’s Allowance may affect any other benefits you, or the person you care for, are receiving
Who can get Carer’s Allowance?
You need to be caring for somebody who is getting one of the following benefits:
- Attendance Allowance
- Disability Living Allowance at the middle or highest rate for personal care
- Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, or basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
If someone else is also looking after the same person, only one of you can get Carer’s Allowance. If you are caring for more than one person with disabilities, you cannot add together the hours you do.
Carer’s Allowance can be claimed by more than one person in a household, such as a couple caring for each other. Carer’s Allowance is not affected by any savings you may have.
Under certain circumstances, Carer’s Allowance may be paid to people who leave Northern Ireland to live elsewhere in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.
Please visit NI Direct Disability Living Allowance – introduction
- Carers UK: Northern Ireland
- NI Direct – www.nidirect.gov.uk
- Dept for Social Development – Social Security Agency
Page last checked: February 2016
This webpage is for general information purposes only and while we endeavour to keep it up-to-date, errors may occur. It is very important that you check with the relevant body to ensure the information is current and is applicable to your situation: – North / South
If you would like to suggest amendments or highlight new information that could be useful to others please don’t hesitate to get in touch.