There are excellent sources of information and advice available which will help guide you when buying your own home.
There are a number of ways in which you could find a property to buy:-
- using estate agents
- looking at the property pages in local newspapers
- contacting house building companies for details of new properties being built in the area
- looking on the internet
- National Consumer Agency – Impartial information and advice is available on the National Consumer Agency website in the Your money section. For further information please visit the National Consumer Agency website.
- The Citizens Information website also provides useful information. For further information please visit Citizens Information – Owning a home
- The NI Direct website contains a lot of helpful information and advice on buying a home. For further information please visit NI Direct –Buying Your Home
If you are considering moving across the Irish border you should remember that the move will affect your residency status and can impact on your access to health care, social welfare and your tax obligations.
Cross border commercial property purchases
Resident intending to buy commercial property in the other jurisdiction should be aware of the numerous tax implications.
Page last checked: February 2016
This webpage is for general information purposes only and while we endeavour to keep it up-to-date, errors may occur. It is very important that you check with the relevant body to ensure the information is current and is applicable to your situation: – North / South
If you would like to suggest amendments or highlight new information that could be useful to others please don’t hesitate to get in touch.